Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Highcliff Cabernet Merlot 2002

Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon x Merlot
Country of origin: Australia
Wine appelation: South Eastern Australia
Vintage: 2002
Alcohol content: 13.5%
Color: lighter garnet red with terracotta meniscus
Bouquet: nice and smooth with dominant plums and vanilla
Taste: very smooth, nicely roud, medium body, nicely lingering on a palate, strawberry marmelade, canned cherries with black currant softened by plums, hint of vanilla and oak, which are nicely integrated in the taste and not standing out, mellow tannins and medium finish
Recommended food pairing: sophisticated elaboration of pork
Overall score:  85
Price: CZK 170
Stopper: cork
I was going through the cellar and I felt like something properly aged and not young. Recently I opened all these old wines and were positively surprised:). I remembered that more than one year ago I tasted this wine, but 2001 vintage so I was curious to check this one and  I must say it was a good choice:) For the pic please refer to previous vintage here.   

1 comment:

  1. Just checked - Simeon Wines has been absorbed into what is now a public company called Australian Vintage Ltd. It does not seem that the label has been continued. Good to see how a good priced wine can be such a pleasure. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete