Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Jaroslav Springer Blanc de Pinot Noir 2012

Variety: 100% Pinot noir,
Country of origin: Czech Republic
Wine appellation: Moravia, Velké Pavlovice sub-appellation, Boretice village, vineyard not stated
Vintage: 2012
Alcohol content: 13.5%
Color: deep yellow, even going towards brass even to umber hues, not crystal clear (most likely unfiltered) and oily consistency
Bouquet:what is amazing (in good or for some people in bad term) is the nose, it is very animal and creamy at the same time, it reminds me the nose of some wines from Dobra vinice or traditionally made wines from autentiste (no cold fermentation, rather traditional wine making techniques), leaving it a bit time to air I recognize the smell of partly fermented small pears my brother used to make the base for hruskovice followed by this nice yogurty tones
Taste: medium body, very round, white yogurt, (the wine must have gone through malolactic fermentation), strawberries, canned white peach, hint of pear (but not as much as in the nose), medium to longer finish
Recommended food pairing: see below
Overall score: 3+8+12+6+7+50=86
Price: CZK 363
Stopper: single piece cork
This is the wine that would for sure divide the audience, there would be the people who would love it (including my friend Andrew) and people who would hate it. I received this one as of today freshly bottled (not sulfured) without oak aging. According to the winemaker there is part which is being barrel fermented (I personally am fan of oak for reds for sure and for complex whiteslike this one as well). How can I describe the wine after half bottle is finished when writing these notes? It is really strawberries in yogurt, nicely round and would go fantastic with pork loin or prosciutto with melon.However this wine is minimal sulfured so perfect storing conditions must be assured. otherwise I guess it would slightly re-ferment , the same style I had at my friend one month ago and did not like it at all so was really skeptical about this one before opening and immediately put it in the wine fridge:-)

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting description of pear and yoghurt. I guess I would be a fan, based on the description. I thought malolactic fermentation was aided by oak but I guess not!

    ReplyDelete