Sunday, December 6, 2009

Caliterra Merlot 2001

Variety: Merlot
Country of origin: Chille
Wine appellation: Valle Cental
Vintage: 2001
Alcohol content: 14.5%
Color: brick color, very nice orange hues
Bouquet: extremly intense, very complex, minerality, dried fruit, strawberry marmelade, hint of cinnamon and coffee
Taste: medium to full body, canned cherries, coffee, very nice aged tones, quite long finish
Recommended food pairing: this one can stand easily on its own, with some hard matured cheeses to complement
Overall score: 86
Price: gift
Stopper: cork
This wine I got from my boss in 2004, by accident this guy sits in my current company on a board. I found it when organizing my 500 bottles in a cellar (:)) and though it would be nice to open it for my birthday.  And it was. There is something I really like on aged bottles and it is this beautiful color, bricky and very shiny where the years managed to leave the imprints, also the bouquet is quiete distinct. Going towards coffee, spices, canned fruit marmelade and INTEGRATED oak, whereas the youg wines have the oak typically standing out.

1 comment: